There haven't been many things that have changed about me since turning 24. However, a few things have changed. I drink coffee fairly regularly now and I listen to the radio. Huge breakthroughs I know. But I really do like them, and they have changed some of how I spend my day and my perceptions of things.
The change to coffee is one a lot of young adults make. And it's something I've been putting off for as long as I can. I never wanted to be dependent on a substance to help me simply live my life. And I don't think I am...yet. As of right now I still get the sugar loaded coffees that taste more like milkshakes than the stimulant driven dark black roasts many adults use to pry their eyelids open. But I do enjoy the small high and driving energy it gives me to help me power through the day.
Listening to the radio has been a long time coming but in some ways a much more dramatic revelation than coffee. For whatever reason I feel I have become much more social these last few months/years. I have come to the realization that humans are all there is to life; or that social encounters with others is the only thing that is lasting. Bonding and closeness with others really is important. And I've begun to realize that when I have the energy, I really like talking. I enjoy conversing with people, sharing ideas, explaining things, trying to articulate ideas and explanations, and searching for the right word to fit a situation. Language is a fascinating way to convey ideas and thoughts in a limited space across the void to each other. And it's something that I really appreciate now more than ever. At times I used to be pained when someone took a long time to explain an issue (and sometimes I still am). But now I have an appreciation for the meticulous care and beauty of word choice and language. I think that's one of the reasons I've begun to enjoy the radio. I listened to a program last night that was all about a band pushing its album through the studio. Though I wasn't familiar with the band or even the subject matter that much, I still was fascinated by them talking about it and remembering memories and personal touches. It's something I look forward to working on and perfecting, though I doubt I will ever like the phone that much. I need to get a beer, coffee, or other with all of you sometime so we can talk.
No comments:
Post a Comment