Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Daniel's Top 5 Fantasy/Sci-Fi Book Recommendations

In this post I'll talk about some of the Fantasy and Science Fiction books I would recommend to people. These are not necessarily my favorite books (though many are), but books I would recommend to people looking for great works in the genre. I will describe why I like each book, who I would recommend it to, and why I might suggest it over some alternatives.

Magician by Raymond E. Feist
Epic fantasy at it's finest. Raymond E. Feist's Magician was recommended to me by my friend Coleman Shelton when I was looking for new fantasy books to read. Though I had been reading fantasy for a while, this stands out as the book that really got me hooked into epic fantasy for a lifetime. It was the book that brought me from young adult reading for pleasure and wonder, to books of substance and meaning. Though Magician is not the greatest in those qualities, it showed me what a book could be involving well written cultural descriptions, dynamic characters, and a diverse and interwoven plot.

The story of Magician involves two boys, Pug and Tomas, who live mundane lives in an outlying duchy of a wondrous kingdom. Their potential is unleashed when both boys become separated and embark on transforming journeys of magic and fantasy that span the ages. It is a wonderful, compelling story of boyhood friendship and maturing into roles of power and responsibility. I highly recommend Magician to anyone looking to break into epic fantasy, or those simply looking for an escape into another world, distant but yet remarkably similar to our own.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
This has quickly become the most well known fantasy series ever, possibly even eclipsing J.R.R Tolkein's Lord of the Rings Trilogy. As far as accessible fantasy books, J.K. Rowling's original masterpiece Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is hard to beat. Though many people would not include this book in their best of list, the pure joy and ease of reading these books is amazingly encompassing. Retirees to middle-school children love the story of the orphaned boy living in an imprisoned life becoming the most magically gifted boy of his generation. And I certainly would not shun it because of its popular appeal.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, similar to Magician, is not my favorite book from the author. However, like Magician it is the first book of the series and thus must be recommended. This does little to deter the magnificence of either book. This book is a wonderfully written page turning mystery full of suspense and unending joy. Though it might not have the most profound effect, J.K. Rowling amazingly writes an intricate series involving memorable characters, learning experiences, and fast-pulsing plot. Several of her books in the series are very long, but it only adds to the depth and intrigue of the characters and ever-evolving story. I highly recommend this book to any young adult looking for a great reading experience, or anyone ever.


Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
If I read Magician just as I was ready to move into reading fantasy for good, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein hit me just as I was really starting to think and form myself into who I am. And it made a pretty profound effect. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to challenge them self with new insights and wisdom. Though I'm sure there are more powerful books out there, few have timed their effect on me as strongly as this.

Stranger in a Strange Land focuses on Michael Valentine Smith, 'the Man from Mars.' He's a human who was born and raised on Mars by Martians. Now he must adapt to human culture and society. The most basic concepts he does not grok and he must learn the principles of our society from the ground up. It's a very insightful and challenging look at our culture, norms, and perspectives that make up our everyday lives. Though it's not the most compelling plot at times, the characters and interactions really drive the book along. Some of my favorite chapters are composed of tens of pages of dialogue between characters over a moral or philosophical issue. This is also the book that I have read the most recently, so my feelings may be a little strong right now.


Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Easily my most recommended book of all time; it is hard for someone not to find something they cherish from Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. I originally heard about this book from Bill Hinchcliffe in my Senior English class. I'm really glad he mentioned it because this, along with its sequel Speaker for the Dead, are among my favorite books ever. I have had several friends and co-workers read these books, and everyone loves them. Orson Scott Card is simply an amazing writer of human thought, emotion, and the things that drive and compel us to be how we are.

Ender's Game is the story of the youngest child in a family of extremely intelligent children. When questions of his violence and temper are questioned, he is sent off to the legendary Battle School to test his mettle and strategic mind against other prodigiously intelligent children in preparation for a intergalactic war with the 'Buggers.' He must navigate through ambiguous friends and enemies, while pondering moral dilemmas and motivations all while keeping his own council in discovering what the world, and the Universe hold for him. I can hardly give Ender's Game enough praise as a book that everyone should read. It's not just for science-fiction readers, but for everyone. Like many others mentioned, it is the first book in a series, so you might get hooked. But it can stand alone just fine.


Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
Fantasy is a genre where, by definition, anything is possible. It is amazing that some of the best works of fantasy are those that teach us about the world that we live in everyday. And this story does just that. Guy Gavriel Kay does a masterful job in Tigana of weaving an intricate story about real characters that have real motivations and thoughts that we can empathize and pain through with them. There are no villains and heroes (something of an anomaly in fantasy); there are only people living their lives and trying to do what is right for them. That is why this book resonates so much with me; it is an episode in the human condition with an amazing story as the backdrop for such trying interactions, insights, and emotions.

Tigana is the name of a conquered province, which has been so utterly defeated that even its name has been magically removed from all those not native to the land. It is the story of the next generation of people trying to reclaim their history and proud heritage from a war torn land. Guy Gavriel Kay tells the story from the diverse perspectives of all those entangled in this struggle. Though the plot is great, the characters and the turmoil between each other and themselves is utterly astounding. I have only recommended this book to one other person, and they had a very similar reaction. I only hesitate to recommend this book to others because I think it is so good. To have someone not like it would tarnish something in me. Obviously that is just me being insecure, but though I read Tigana some time ago, and I cannot remember all the details or names, it still has that unnameable quality of power over me. I cannot name it as my favorite book, but for whatever reason, it does have a hold on me.

Honorable Mention:
Hyperion by Dan Simmons

3 comments:

DarkEclipse said...

Interesting selection! Haven't heard of a lot of these but have been looking for a book to hook me again. The last thing I read was The sookie Stackhouse series cause I like (at least 1st season) True Blood. Growing up I really liked the The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wred, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Gui, The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks, I think i read parts of Wizard's First Rule, D&D Dragonlance chronicles (at least Legends), The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, and others that I'd have to think about. In HS, I read Metamorphosis instead of Ender's game, but like within the past 2 years I finally blew threw EG and loved it def > than Meta, totally caught me off guard.

I might pick one of these up, I've always wanted to discuss these types of books with someone.

DB said...

Haha, sweet. I've heard most of those but haven't read any besides some from Ursala. I think these are all pretty good, but you'll have to let me know...

DarkEclipse said...

aha I threw out that list of books because I was insecure about my book choices and recent reading habits lol It was also an attempt at saying I like the genre and 3 of the books on here seem intimidating vs my HS books :)

I'm leaning towards Magician, I trust your recommendations, these look good!

Post a Comment