I promise I'm almost done with this topic. Almost.
I read an article concerning fear. Essentially it said that you should write them down. This helps alleviate the fear because it skips them. You've told your mind that yes, you are paying attention to these things, you don't need to ruminate over them anymore. Also, if there is a finite amount of fear I have, I am attenuating way too much to certain areas. I need to transition how much I fear certain things to live a healthy existence. So here are my breakdowns for how much percentage of time I want to be fearing each topic. Each of these has hundreds of individual fears and situations, but here are the main categories.
Limited Time: 10%
Some people would call this the fear of death, but I think it is analogous but not exactly the same. This is the fear that because of death I have limited time to exist within this consciousness. Obviously death plays into this, and I am scared shitless of death. I worry about homicide all the time. I have the constant fear of someone just around the next corner waiting to ambush and kill me. But most significantly I am scared about the idea of everything going on forever while I have no perception of it. But I cannot do much about it. I am going to die. This thus includes other fears that end my consciousness and are out of my control: the Universe ending, an unjust death, an untimely death, etc. What I really need to do is make the most of what I have. Thus I should fear death only because it shows my time is limited...
Quality of Life: 60%
The important things I can do something about. A way to attack death realistically by making the most of life. This should be my main fear and what I need to be actively concerned with because I can effect it. I can control the quality of life and thus make the most of this finite time. There are tons of things that go into this fear including: social embarrassment, happiness, shame, regret, productivity, purpose, love, pride, and despair. I can do something about these, thus they are worthy of actual consideration, thought, and work.
The Universe: 23%
I worry that we as the human race will never get better; we will never reach our ultimate potential. This is a fairly abstract and some would say stupid fear. Religious people do not have to worry much about this because heaven and god are perfect. There is an eternity of bliss after death. But I do not have this. Humans and our minds are all we have. I fear that we will never get better, that we are too poorly evolved, lazy, selfish to get better and make our existence and the Universe better. By my own impact I can effect this. This is something of a quality of life concern, but for everyone. My motives are not wholly altruistic, because I want us to be better because I will be part of it. I can be involved in everything being better. It is as close as I can get to heaven and I don't think we can get there.
The Oven is On: 0%
Fuck this.
Fear Itself: 7%
This is the fear of uncertainty. When I turn off all the lights the fear of what is not known. I do not think this deserves much weight. Obviously a topic such as everlasting torment is a frightening topic, but I cannot do much about it, thus fear has lost its beneficial role. In a lot of ways, it is simply a culmination of all the unnamed things in the future that could cause problems in above topics.
If there are things you think I should be worrying about that I have not listed, let me know. Or something here you do not think I should pay attention to at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment