I just finished Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov. Overall I would say I enjoyed and relished the book. Nabokov is an exquisite writer of human emotion and cognition.Lolita is a manuscript written by Humbert Humbert concerning his love of nymphets, and more particularly his one burning desire, his Lolita. It is a story of cunning insanity and passionate love. Humbert is a detached, wholly rational and thoughtfully, complex character. The reader must empathize with him as he travels the roads of despair and melancholy where he is forbidden to possess the only thing he truly loves.
I love Lolita as a talking point for discussion on what love can mean. It is a true love story in the most possessive and selfish sense. I really enjoy talking about this book with others and some of the controversial and pushing topics it enlightens within us concerning age, maturity, love, personal responsibility, obsession, insanity, and ownership.
The plot itself dragged at times for me, and with any journal reached points more pressing to the author than the reader. I found myself hoping the tale would end well before the final resolution. I, however, would argue that the dramatic climax happened much before this. Though I did enjoy almost all of the writing, it simply may have been too rich for me at points. Recommended for those who want a contemplative read on love and the bizarre and insane forms it can take. 8/10.
No comments:
Post a Comment